Wednesday 5 February 2014

Sing for your heart



As a child I was always very timid. I would never volunteer for any individual performance or responsibility. In a question answer session, I would not reply even after knowing the correct answer until my teacher asked me in particular. But one activity was always fun for me as I would not have to be conscious- Group singing. I would sing my heart out. It used to be so much fun when the pitch flowed from low to high and vice-versa. That feeling is something which I cannot explain in words.

Singing always gives pleasure to a person due to the release of endorphins which relaxes the body by reducing stress. The effect of singing is similar to that of chocolate, except for the consumption of extra calories.

Researchers have shown that Singing boosts immunity along with increasing life expectancy. Singing has also shown effective results in case of lung cancer patients since it is a wonderful exercise for lungs, heart and vocal cords.

Many a times you would have heard the experienced singers suggesting people to sing from the belly. The reason behind this suggestion is that, when a person sings from belly, the diaphragm which helps in controlled breathing is put into function. Hence we can inhale more air, keep it inside for a longer time and push it through our vocal cords in a much forceful and effective manner. In short, the whole process promotes our immune system and keeps our heart and lungs healthy.

Singing also acts as stress buster. It brings you in good mood by releasing endorphins which makes you happy by lowering your stress levels and blood pressure.

Though singing is not a complete workout but you would be surprised to know that many people prefer Singing over Yoga. I agree that with Yoga you have to put lot more effort, but the benefits of singing have certainly made people to do this.

In many places group singing and choir singing is been promoted so that people could reap its benefits. Group singing is more like Group Meditation because the heart rates sync up together during group singing.

I have sung for heavens
I have sung for thee
Let me sing a song
That is meant just for ‘Me’!

All the songs are meant for you. The only thing you have to do is to sing your heart out and feel the pleasure that is beyond words. The pleasure you feel is not only the happiness inside, but also the positive change that your body can experience. 

1 comment: